Meet a Mum UK
As a guest you can only see a limited amount of the forum, so please log in or register to access all of our friendly forum

If you have problems, please email me on angel_eyez_xxx@hotmail.com
Meet a Mum UK
As a guest you can only see a limited amount of the forum, so please log in or register to access all of our friendly forum

If you have problems, please email me on angel_eyez_xxx@hotmail.com
Meet a Mum UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MAMuk is a friendly forum for Mum's, Mum's-to-be & Future Mum's to chat in a friendly atmosphere and meet new mums near them.

HomeHome  new portal pagenew portal page  AVON STUFFAVON STUFF  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Our Facebook GroupOur Facebook Group  
Congratulations to Sarah, Liam & Josh
On the Birth Of Baby 
Leyla,
Born On 29th April at 12.48pm, weighing i at 8lb 12 3/4oz.
Both Mummy & Baby are doing well xx

Blaze rips through Sunderland scrapyard

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MRSR2B
Great Poster
Great Poster
MRSR2B

Female
Number of posts : 463
Mood : Blaze rips through Sunderland scrapyard  Yeehaw
Competition Wins : Blaze rips through Sunderland scrapyard  MAMchild
Blaze rips through Sunderland scrapyard  MAMtopposterwinner
Registration date : 2010-07-31

Blaze rips through Sunderland scrapyard  Empty
PostSubject: Blaze rips through Sunderland scrapyard    Blaze rips through Sunderland scrapyard  Empty22nd May 2011, 3:06 am

Baring in mind this happened a day after the Byker fire:

FIREFIGHTERS have been tackling a major blaze in Sunderland.

Smoke could be seen from miles around as the fire took hold next to the River Wear at the Alex Smiles waste recycling plant, in Deptford.

It bore a resemblance to the blaze that tore through a Tyneside scrapyard on Thursday.

Onlookers parked their cars along Keir Hardy Way, near the Stadium of Light, to get a view of the drama from the opposite side of the river.

The fire was in a yard alongside the Liebherr crane-building factory.

A statement on the Alex Smiles website said the blaze was under control.

It said: “The material involved is processed, non-hazardous timber.

“There are no casualties involved and the fire is currently under control, with emergency services in attendance.

“The Environment Agency and other relevant organisations have been informed.

“Alex Smiles Ltd would like to thank members of the public for their vigilance.

“Opening hours as normal tomorrow (May 21).”

Echo digital editor Ian Laws took this photo from the north side of the river using his mobile phone.

He said: “I’d just picked up my daughter from Guides in Roker when I saw the smoke.

“I drove towards it out of curiosity and it was quite a spectacular scene.

“A couple of dozen cars had parked on Keir Hardy Way and people were out getting a look.

“I drove further along and walked down footpaths to the riverside. You could feel the heat from the fire that far away.

“The smoke was blowing down towards the seafront.

“I’ve no idea what caused it, of course, but after the scrapyard fire in Newcastle this week, it does make you wonder.”

Firefighters were at the scene well beyond midnight damping down.

Smoke, carried on the wind, left a strong smell drifting across Monkwearmouth, Fulwell, Roker and Seaburn.

Alex Smiles Ltd, established in 1973, moved to the nine-acre riverside site in 2002 and has invested £4million in transforming the business to recycle between 90 and 95 per cent of the waste it collects there.

The company collects paper, plastics, newspapers, magazines and cardboard to be baled and sold to re-processors.

It also recycles glass, cans, wood and scrap from its site.

Read more at http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/blaze_rips_through_sunderland_scrapyard_1_3403292
Back to top Go down

Blaze rips through Sunderland scrapyard
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Meet a Mum UK :: UK News-
Jump to: